In The Interview: Episode #20, Ciara Pressler interviews Emma Mcilroy, founder and CEO of Wildfang.
Emma and Ciara talk about…
- Dealing with high expectations and a lack of resources as a small business
- Learning in real time and having the world watch you make mistakes
- Creating Wildfang to combat widespread miseducation about feminism
- Making decisions from the heart rather than through a business lens
- What it means to be a feminist right now in the business world
Emma Mcilroy is a queer-feminist-Irish-immigrant-female-CEO. As founder and CEO of Wildfang, she’s been smashing the patriarchy and gender norms in fashion and beyond since 2013. It started with the radical belief that a womxn has the right to wear whatever the hell she likes and be whoever the hell she likes. And speaking of rights, in 2018 alone, Wildfang raised over $500k for charities that support reproductive, immigrant, and women’s/human rights. Pre-Wildfang, Emma spent over 12 years honing her marketing skills at two world-class brands in Barclays and Nike. And before that, she graduated Summa Cum Laude with a degree in Natural Sciences from Cambridge University. Last year, she was named one of Inc.’s Female Founders 100, Oregon Entrepreneur of the Year by OEN, and Executive of the Year by the Portland Business Journal, and her “Yeah Maybe” TED talk garnered over 100k views. She is a wild feminist in every sense of the title.